Cappuccino Brownies {Guest Post by The Baking Fairy}


Hello, hello, my darling blog readers! My name is Valentina, and I am a food blogger over at The Baking Fairy! I am not a vegan myself, but Emilie is my BFF, and since we spend like 78% of our time together, I'm basically vegan by association at this point! I am here today to share this fabulous recipe for ultra-rich vegan brownies topped with a thick, ridiculous layer of coffee buttercream. Me and Em have been discussing doing guest posts on each other's blogs for like, EVER, but we just couldn't think of any recipes to make! Or, rather, we'd just make food for our own blogs and forget we even wanted to do posts for each other{and this happened for, ehh...4 months? Yeah. Short-term memory loss, I'd say}. A couple of weeks ago, Emilie made this fantastic Mocha Cheesecake, and I couldn't stop raving about it! I also couldn't stop eating it, but that is besides the point. She suggested saving that recipe for a guest post for my site, and a theme was born! Chocolate and coffee, which, to be honest, are the two things that basically run through our veins. Coming up with a recipe was definitely tricky for me, because even though I practically live with a vegan, and I have a few vegan recipes on my site, I'm not used to baking using vegan substitutes! I finally settled on making brownies, because they are basically my most favorite thing EVER, and I may or may not have like 17 brownie-related recipes on my site {and I went back and physically counted, so NO, I'm not exaggerating. Awk.}. SO I guess you could say my brownie consumption has escalated to dangerous levels. Sorry not sorry. These brownies right here are super fudgy and rich, and topped with a heavenly 2-minute coffee buttercream! These are total sugar-bombs, which really just means they are the perfect companion to a big cup of slightly-bitter coffee. Yum! Happy baking and happy eating! And don't forget to check out Emilie's cheesecake recipe on my blog HERE.

   


{brownie recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker

Cappuccino Brownies
Yields: one 9x9 pan

For the brownies:
4 flax eggs {4 tbsp ground flaxseed + 10 tbsp warm water}
1 cup vegan butter {I used EarthBalance}, melted
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
2 tbsp almond milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp espresso powder or instant coffee powder

For the buttercream:
1/2 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
2-3 cups powdered sugar {more or less as needed}
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp very strong coffee
mini chocolate chips, for topping {optional}

Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water, and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Whisk in the sugar, melted butter, sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, salt, almond milk, and melted chocolate until combined. Finally, stir in the flour. Batter will be thick!
Pour into prepared pan, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes; then remove foil, and bake for 30 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Allow to cool completely before frosting!

When ready to frost, combine the butter, vanilla, and coffee in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, and beat until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until the cream is thick and fluffy without being either runny or too stiff. Spread as much as you'd like on top of the brownies, and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Cut into servings and enjoy! :)




Comments

Popular Posts