Going Vegan

Hello all!

Lets get right to the point. I've decided to start taking steps to becoming a vegan. I've been a vegetarian for almost 8 years and  I discovered that I was lactose intolerant in highschool, so for the past few years my diet has very closely resembled that of a vegan's.

Yet besides checking for animal fat and diary ingredients, I never read the back of my food labels. I never really understood what I was putting in my body or on my skin or hair.

Knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss.

It was easy for me to just quickly glance at labels scanning for ingredients which were obviously animal based, but in reality most of the animal based products are not clearly labeled in a way we can understand or recognize. They are given a scientific name. So we must take the responsibility on ourselves to learn about what all that stuff actually is. Besides learning about what animal products were in my food and where they came from I also learned other things as well. For example, reduced iron is a biproduct derusting rust! I actually find that really interesting. Also thiamine mononitrate is an enriching substanced used in bleached flour to help replenish lost nutrients in the bleaching process (thiamine is a B vitamin by the way! It's good for you!). These ingredients don't rally my empathetic heart towards the injustices of innocent animals, or cause me to burn a bridge  or slaughter house. These ingredients are just plan fascinating.

So I've got news for you. Label researching is work and it can be a sad process that causes you to rethink your lifestyle, but it can also be a fun and engaging way to learn about applied chemistry and biology!

I encourage you to go the extra mile and learn about what is in your foods and how it interacts with your body. All these pieces form one giant magnificent puzzle which composes the human body, health and experience. You don't have to be a crazy vegetarian or vegan to want to learn about what your eating. You maybe perfectly fine with whale sperm in your shampoo, and that's fine! I won't judge you for it or get in your face about it. My I will continue to abstain from it.

It's your life. It's your body. It's your world.
Learn about them.

If you are interested in getting to learn about the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle or the Western diet at all, I encourage you to watch these resources:
Forks over Knifes
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
Food Inc
Supersize me

Comments

Popular Posts