Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup


I am quite the mushroom fanatic  (or should I say Fungi-addict) let me tell you. I could eat mushrooms for every meal of every day... In fact I've had mushroom themed weeks before. And of course this wonderful soup was the week's featured MVP. I love soup because it lasts for days and makes hectic-morning-lunch-packing so much less well, hectic. So without further ado I introduce to you the marvelous, the magnificent, the magical mushroom soup!



The original recipe can be found here
Ingredients (yields about 2 servings)
1/2 diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
3 cups veggie broth
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 Cup raw cashews (soak for a few hours)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Saute the onions and garlic in some of the vegetable broth until they are transparent.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until they are reduced in size. 
Add veggie broth and herbs. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Pour the soup into the blender. I left about 1/2 of the soup in the pot so I would still have some chunky mushrooms and onions for texture. Blend the soup in a blender with the cashews and nutritional yeast until creamy. (If you have a high power blender then you can add the soaked cashews directly in the blender with the other ingredients. I chose to blend my cashews in my coffee grinder in order to get a finer consistency.)
Add back into pot and salt and pepper to taste.
Heat for five more minutes so it will thicken a little more.

Now enjoy with some asparagus and freshly baked bread

Comments

Popular Posts