Baked Macaroni & Cheese Bites - Vegan Style


If you were to ask me which of my recipes is the biggest hit with my omnivore friends I would know the answer immediately: my vegan twist on Mac & Cheese. My friends quite literally beg for me to make this recipe. If I off-handedly mention that I'm making some this glorious dish all the neighborhood comes running! Usually I make this dish the standard way in a bowl or on a plate, but baking it in muffin shapes sure makes it easier to share. It also provides you with the perfect serving size of pasta, although I won't judge you if you eat three of these babies... I know I did...
This recipe is simple enough that you can add in some grilled veggies or some gardein beef crumbles if you would like to eat them "hamburger" style. So get creative and have some tasty fun!




Ingredients 
3 cups of medium sized unbaked macaroni noodles
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
3 cups of almond milk
2 tsp Braggs liquid aminos
1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I usually add in 1 tsp or more, but I really like my cayenne)

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan
2. Bring a medium pot of water to boil over low heat. Once the water has reached a boil add in the macaroni and allow it to cook for about 5-7 minutes and then strain and set aside.
3.  While the pasta is cooking begin preparing your cheese sauce. In a separate sauce pan whisk together flour and oil over high heat. The flour may not combine all the way but this is ok since it will dissolve in the milk later.
4. Whisk in almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce and Braggs until combined.
5. Continue to whisk the cheese sauce as it reaches a boil and starts to thicken. Allow the sauce to thicken to a similar consistency as the cheese sauce packets found in the Velveeta mac and cheese packets and then remove from heat.
6. In large bowl stir together cooked pasta and 3/4 of the cheese sauce. Taste test now and add more salt or spices if you choose.
7. Spoon the mac & cheese into the muffin pan. Be sure to stuff each dish a little higher than the top of the pan.
8. Once all the Mac & Cheese is in the muffin pan drizzle the remain cheese sauce into each pile.
9. Allow Mac & Cheese to bake for 15-18 minutes. After removing the mac & cheese from the oven let it cool for about 5 minutes so the bottom portion of the Mac & Cheese can cool down and bind to the top.



Comments

Popular Posts