Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread



I have been longing to experiment with alternative flours for a while now. I often try to find or create low/lower carb recipes that will not cause his blood sugar to spike dramatically. Along this journey I discovered the awesomeness that is coconut sugar a month or so ago. It is a great alternative to traditional sugar for diabetics because of it's low glycemic index and  for vegans because it is not processed with animal bone car. Once I'd gotten hooked on coconut sugar I thought I would continue with my coconut craz and try using coconut flour as well. I must say I'm pretty proud of the chocolately result. This banana bread is dense and delicious without being too grainy like some gluten-free products I've tried. But don't just take my word for it! My omnivore roommate kept sneaking slices throughout the day so apparently he thought it was pretty great too!




Ingredients
2 very ripe bananas
1 cup of coconut sugar 
1 tsp vanilla
2 chia seed eggs (1 chia egg = 1 tbsp chia + 3 tbsp water)
1 cup almond milk
1 cup coconut flour 
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions 
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a standard 9in loaf pan
2. Cream bananas and sugar together
3. Combine chia and water to make the chia eggs. Allow to rest for 5 minutes
4. Whisk in chia eggs and vanilla to the sugar and banana mixture 
5. Stir all dry ingredients into the wet and then gently stir in the chocolate chips
6. Pour mix into the loaf pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until you can remove a toothpick from the center of the loaf without the batter sticking to it


Comments

Popular Posts